<body>

Saturday, October 28, 2006

stops me in my tracks

a couple of months ago, I was comissioned to take photos for a 16th birthday party. It was a bit unusual as the portion of the day I would be photographing was the hour and half spent on horseback. It was quite the adventure to try to take pictures while also trying to stay on a horse. A fun adventure, but also a very interesting challenge.

As we rode about the Arizona desert on a dark afternoon with heavy monsoon clouds hanging to our South and the wind picking up, our trail guide told us stories - about the desert, about the wild horses, about his life and his travels and his journeys. He pointed out the ruins of old stagecoach stops. He told us Native American legends of the plants and the mountains.

He reminded me so much of my grandfather. A tall, lanky, horse-loving man whose face bore the tales of his life hardships and struggles but whose heart, instead of becoming hardened by these difficulties, instead had grown tender and warm.

Everytime I pass by this picture, my heart catches a bit. For a moment I am sad at the loss of someone so special to me. And then, my souls lifts up. I was priviledged to know my grandfather, and I am priviledged to have met this man.

I am reminded of how many truly wonderful people there are in this world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home